Qantas is the latest to blame the unions and their employees for grounding their entire fleet, throwing air travel for Australian and international customers into turmoil.
Alan Joyce believes the union’s demands in the pay dispute are unrealistic and will not bow to pressure to agree to their terms. This coming from a man, who was just, less than 24 hours ago, granted a pay rise at the Qantas AGM.
CEO’s are getting huge pay rises year after year, running into the tens of millions of dollars. It is this 1%, the wealthy people who have control of how the world works. The other 99% of us are expected to fall into line with no complaints.
The Qantas drama has coincided with the Occupy protests currently happening from Wall Street in the US, to Toronto in Canada and here in Melbourne, Australia.
John Carpenter’s movie “They Live” was released back in 1988, and it bears a frightening resemblance to what is happening in the world today. Replace the alien beings with corporate CEO’s, politicians, the wealthy and the police force, and you have the people, corporations and organisations who are telling us to stay sleeping, to consume and not question authority.
The police have taken to beating peaceful protestors to get their message across, even going so far as to contact web services such as You Tube to remove such damning footage. Perhaps we need those special sunglasses from “They Live” to allow others to see what is before them; corporate greed and it is the 99% of us that is suffering.
If all else fails, let’s call in ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper to get the job done.